Updated Nov 29/18
Scarlet-W Red Dragon Brain
SCARLET-W represents RED's passion and dedication to carrying on the legacy started by RED ONE—disrupting the industry and delivering a camera of unparalleled quality and accessibility to content creators everywhere. And now RED has changed the industry again, with the SCARLET-W, powered by a RED DRAGON sensor and featuring interchangeable lens mounts and OLPFs.
SCARLET-W harnesses the RAW performance, advanced color science, and impressive dynamic range of the RED DRAGON sensor. Capable of shooting motion and stills in 5K 2.4:1 at up to 60 fps, or 5K Full Format at 50 fps, SCARLET-W offers 13.8 megapixels of resolution for creative control, special effects, and post-production mastery. As part of RED’s latest generation DSMC2 line, SCARLET-W also features numerous enhancements including simultaneous REDCODE RAW and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD recording, integrated smart connectors for cable-free peripheral attachment, and faster read/write speeds for lower compression—all in a small and lightweight form factor.
Designed around the innovative modular architecture of the DSMC2 family, SCARLET-W is compatible with all of your DSMC2 accessories. Whether you are shooting with a single camera—or an entire arsenal, RED’s modular approach ensures that your DSMC2 accessories are compatible with SCARLET-W, RED RAVEN, and WEAPON cameras.
NOTE: The SCARLET-W BRAIN® itself does not have a DC IN power port. A port expander or power module is required to power the camera.
BUILD YOUR RED SCARLET-W
Red Scarlet-W 5K Brain - $16,200 - call to check
(710-0242-STD) The Red eco-system is a modular system, and you start with the brain. You then add Red or 3rd Party modules to build your camera. Think of it like Lego, except a little more expensive. The Brain consists of the main body, sensor, MiniMag slot, and standard OLPF. That's it. Everything else is added on. Note - the Scarlet-W brain is a DSMC2 body, and requires DSMC2-compatible accessories. What's included: The Scarlet Brain, Front Body Cap, AC Power Supply, OLPF Case, Torx L-Key T20, and Red 3"Sticker.
LENS MOUNT - Scarlet does not ship with
a lens mount. Choose from Canon EF, PL, Nikon, and Leica
mounts. The lens mount is user-changeable, so you can also
change your lens mount depending on the lenses you own, rent
ACCESSORY PACKAGE - Consider adding an Accessory Package, which combines various needed components together. Requires less thinking and angst, but it is also non-customizable.
CUSTOM BUILD - Want to build your camera piece by piece? Click on these individual categories to custom-build your Red your way:
MEDIA - You need Red MiniMag Media to record your footage, otherwise it will be pretty pointless to buy a camera.
Red Armour Extended Warranty for Scarlet - $1599
(780-0026) The Scarlet-W comes with a standard 1 Year Warranty. You can purchase a Red Armour Extended Warranty that extends the warranty to 3 Years. Red Armour has to be purchased at time of ordering the camera.
The great thing about RED is you can build it the way you want (or afford) now, and then endlessly change and add things.
TYPICAL RECORDING TIME TO 240GB MINI MAG
- 5K Full Format (5120x2700) at 24 fps and 11:1 RedCode: 82 minutes
- 5K Full Format at 48 fps and 14:1 RedCode: 52 minutes
SCARLET-W 5K SPECS
- 13.8 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, with effective pixels of 5120 x 2700
- Super35 Sensor Size: 25.6 mm x 13.5 mm (Diag: 28.9 mm)
- Dynamic Range: 16.5 Stops
- Maximum Data Rates: 170 MB/s when using Red Mini Mag, regardless if red or grey Mini-Mags
- Maximum Frame Rates: 50 fps at 5K Full Format (5120 x 2700); 60 fps at 5K 2.4:1 (5120x2160), 120 fps at 4K Full Format (4096x2160); 150 fps at 3K Full Format (3072 x 1620); 240 fps at 2K Full Format (2048 x 1080). NOTE: When shooting at resolutions less than 5K, the sensor "windows", so you don't get the full size of the sensor when shooting 2K, 3K or 4K. The image will be cropped.
- RedCode Compression Settings: 4:1 RedCode for 5K Full Format at 24fps; 7:1 RedCode for 5K Full Format at 50 fps
- Playback Frame Rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 47.95, 48, 50, 59.94, 60 fps, all resolutions
- Redcode Raw Acquistion Formats: 5K Full Format (5120 x 2700): 2:1, 2.4:1, 16:9, 6:5, 4:1, 8:1, and Anamorphic 2x, 1.3x (4K, 3K and 2K formats are also available at the similiar ratios, but the image will be "windowed" and cropped, so usually you don't shoot in anything other than 5K)
- Apple ProRes Formats:
4K (4096 x 2160): ProRes 422, 422 LT up to 29.97 fps
2K (2048 x 1080): ProRes 422 HQ, 422, 422 LT up to 60 fps
- Avid Codecs:
4K (4096 x 2160): DNxHR SQ and LB 8 bit, up to 29.97 fps
HD (1920 x 1080): DNxHR HQ, SQ and LB 8 bit, up to 60 fps
- Weight: 3.5 lbs (brain only)
- Monitor Outputs: 1080p RGB or 4:2:2 via optional modules